and airworthy collections
Air Force Museum of New Zealand
45 Harvard Ave, Wigram, Christchurch 8140
Date of visit: 2nd March 2017
The Air Force Museum of New Zealand, formerly called The Royal New Zealand Air Force Museum, is located at Wigram, the RNZAF's first operational base in Christchurch. Opened on 1st April 1987 as part of the celebrations for the RNZAF's 50th anniversary, the Museum houses the national collection of the Royal New Zealand Air Force. Photographs of aircraft below include those from the 'behind the scenes' guided tour that includes the Reserve Collection hangar.
NZ6460 / cn 6786/164
jet trainer and light attack aircraft retired from RNZAF 2001
Airspeed Oxford I
PK286 / cn 4338 / ex- G-AIKR Restored back to it's original build from it's Consul configuration
(on-loan from the Canada Aviation and Space Museum)
The RNZAF operated 299 Oxfords, their 2nd largest fleet of training aircraft.
Auster Antarctic C.4 (T7)
NZ1707 / cn C4/138 (Restored to the configuration when the aircraft accompanied the Hillary / Fuchs Trans-Antarctic Expedition)
New Zealand used Austers for army co-operation work in the immediate post-war period. They were fitted with either floats or skis.
Avro 626 Prefect
NZ203 / cn 811 (ex- ZK-APC / restored by RNZAF to airworthiness in the 1980s and flew with the RNZAF Historic Flight for a short period
Avro Tutor development featuring a third cockpit with scarf ring and designed to enable training of all aircrew positions.
Avro 652A Anson I
NZ415 / cn LT376 (displayed as NZ406/G)
Used in World War II as navigation trainers, supplementing the Airspeed Oxford. After the war advanced models were used for communications work.
BAC 167 Strikemaster Mk.88
NZ6373 / cn 343
'Blunty' was used by the RNZAF as an advanced jet trainer for pilots progressing onto the A4 Skyhawk in the 1970s and 1980s
Bell Model 47G-3B-1 Sioux
ex NZ3705 / cn 6518
Helicopter trainer entered service in 1965 and was retired in 2013
Bell UH-1D / H Iroquois
ex- US Army 65-9768 / cn 4812 / NZ3801 Delivered to Whenuapai by RNZAF C-130 15/06/1966. Upgraded from UH-1D to UH-1H mid 70's
NZ acquired UH1Ds in 1965, and subsequently added UH1Hs. Iroquois served in Vietnam, the Sinai, Antarctica and East Timor.
Bell UH-1H Iroquois
ex-US Army 69-15923 / cn 12213 - displayed as RNZAF NZ3800
The RNZAF Iroquois fleet was officially retired on 30/05/2015 and withdrawn from service by 01/07/2015
Bleriot XI "Britannia"
Replica built by David Comrie of Dunedin
NZ first military aircraft the Bleriot arrived in 1913 and was flown in New Zealand for 2 years before being returned to the UK in 1915.
Bristol 170 Freighter Mk.31M
NZ5903 / cn 12834 (ex- G-AINT. Added to the collection after retirement from the RNZAF in 1978)
The Bristol Freighters served the RNZAF for nearly 26 years
Cessna O-2A Super Skymaster
69-7639 / cn 337M-0437
(Displayed to represent aircraft flown by NZ pilots on attachment to USAF during Vietnam War. On loan from USAF Museum)
Curtiss P-40F-1-CU Warhawk / Kittyhawk
ex-USAF 41-14205 'Bone Crusher'
Restored to represent RNZAF P-40E NZ3000 in the Pacific theatre of operations
de Havilland DH82A Tiger Moth
NZ1481 / cn DHN161 / displayed as NZ825
Manufactured in Wellington at Rongotai, the Tiger Moth was the RNZAF's primary trainer throughout World War II.
de Havilland Vampire DH100 FB5
NZ5757 / cn WA311
The RNZAF first used the Vampire in Cyprus in the 1950s and continued as a trainer into the early 1970's .
de Havilland Vampire DH115 T11
NZ5710 (ex- RAF XH317)
de Havilland Devon DH104
NZ1803 / cn 04294
A militarised version of the de Havilland Dove, and replacement for the Anson, used as a navigation and multi engine trainer.
de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver
Display in storage - painted as NZ6001
The original NZ6001 was 1 of 2 antarctic aircraft serving on the ice from 1956 and was lost in an accident on the Beardmore Glacier in January 1960.
Douglas C-47B Dakota
NZ3551 / cn 16963
Displayed in the scheme as it was retired from VIP service in 1977
English Electric (G.A.F.) Canberra B.20
Gifted by the RAAF in 1984 in a trade involving the RAAF museum's acquisition of Harvard NZ1034
Grumman Avenger TBF-1C
NZ2504 / cn 5219
Displayed as NZ2521
Kaman SH-2 Seasprite SH-2F
Donated by the Kaman Aircraft Corporation, having been written off following an accident whilst in service with the RNZN
Lockheed Hudson Mk 3
NZ2013 / cn 414-3826 ex- RAF V9241
Underwent major restoration involving its' complete reconstruction. Displayed in its' 1942 colour scheme.
McDonnell Douglas A-4K Skyhawk
NZ6207 / cn 14090
Acquired and converted to early RNZAF A4K specification. Displayed as the first RNZAF Skyhawk lost in an accident in 1977
McDonnell Douglas A-4K Skyhawk
NZ6205 / cn 14088
McDonnell Douglas TA-4K Kahu Skyhawk
NZ6254 / cn 14097
North American AT-6D Harvard Mk.IIA
NZ1050 / cn 88-13907 (RNZAF Wigram gate guardian)
North American AT-6D Harvard Mk.3
NZ1087 / cn 88-16326
Displayed as NZ948 / 48 of No.2 SFTS Woodbourne 1943
North American P-51D Mustang
ex-Indonesian Air Force F-367 acquired in 1985
Displayed as NZ2410 of No.4 Squadron Territorial Air Force, Taieri, 1951-55
Pacific Aerospace CT-4B Airtrainer
NZ1948 / cn 096
Served as an ab-initio trainer from 1978 to 1993. It was transferred to the museum for preservation after retirement.
displayed as N6460, the aircraft flown by New Zealander H F Beamish whilst serving with the Royal Naval Air Service during WWI.
Replica, built by Skysport Engineering in the UK, suffered a crash landing on its maiden flight in 1985. Acquired by the museum in 1995.
Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk XVIe
ex-RAF TE288 / OU-V / cn CBAF.11414 Used in the 1955 film 'Reach For The Sky'
(Relocated to the museum in 1984 after being mounted outside the Christchurch Brevet Club since 1963. Displayed as a 485 (NZ) Squadron aircraft)
Westland Wasp HAS Mk 1
Used by the RNZN from Leander and Anzac frigates